When to embrace Behaviour Driven Development? – Discuss Agile

When to embrace Behaviour Driven Development?

Home Forums Past Conference Talks Accepted Talks Proposals for Bangalore When to embrace Behaviour Driven Development?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ranjith Tharayil Ranjith Tharayil 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Ranjith Tharayil
    Ranjith Tharayil
    Participant

Behaviour Driven Development (BDD) is a collaborative and disciplined technique to help us build the right product. In the last decade BDD has had her own bit of glory and criticism. Many teams in the recent past have reaped benefits from this technical practice, while some teams complain that are yet to find any value. This article focuses on answering two questions; Why BDD might not always be the right choice? What are the ideal conditions when teams should adopt it?
    In this talk we come up with a BDD adoption matrix to help us answer the above questions. We also assert that for successful product development it is crucial to bridge the gap between the problem space and solution space, each of which has its own set of complexities. We conclude that Behavior Driven Development can be one of the effective techniques to bridge this gap especially if the problem space is complex. In case the problem space is simple it might be an over kill and teams might not find real value practicing BDD. We also observe that teams whose problem space is simple can continue to document scenarios and automate acceptance testing but they need not spend elaborate time and effort towards discussing and debating scenarios.

Saket Bansal
    Participant

Thank you for proposing the talk, i do agree people will love to listen about BDD . it will be helpful if you can share the structure of the talk, also sharing some of the old talks links like PPT or Video will help.

Ranjith Tharayil
    Participant

Thank you for reviewing my submission , please find details below

Outline/structure of the Session
    • Introduction – 5 min
    • Problem space and solution space -5 min
    • The Gap -5 min
    • Complexity -5 min
    • A Game using Lego , to simulate different complexity and effect of collaboration : 20 min (this is Optional )
    • Retro: When to use Behaviour Driven Development -10 min
    • How to measure complexity -5 min
    • Conclusion 3 min
    • QA -2 min

Learning outcomes of this talk.
    • Participants will gain knowledge, which will empower them to decide when to adopt Behaviour driven development.
    • they will gain insight of the BDD adoption matrix which will aid in this decision making

Target Audience
    Developer, tester , Product owner ,Scrum Master ,Leadership

White Paper
    This talk is based on my white paper @ http://www.solutionsiq.in/when-to-embrace-behaviour-driven-development/

Blog link on the same topic :
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/when-embrace-behaviour-driven-development-bdd-ranjith-tharayil

My bio
    https://www.scrumalliance.org/community/profile/rtharayil

Saket Bansal
    Participant

Thank you for responding, we are confirming your talk for the session, i also request you to write blog on same topic and share with us so we can publish it here before the conference. Thank you.

Ranjith Tharayil
    Participant

Thank you Saket for accepting my proposal.
    Please find the abstract write up of the talk below, let me know if you need a longer version ?

When to embrace Behaviour Driven Development (BDD)?

Behaviour Driven Development (BDD) is a collaborative and disciplined technique to help us build the right product. In the last decade BDD has had her own bit of glory and criticism. Many teams in the recent past have reaped benefits from this technical practice, while some teams complain that they are yet to find any value. My talk focuses on answering two questions; Why BDD might not always be the right choice? What are the ideal conditions when teams should adopt it? In this talk I introduce a BDD adoption matrix to help us answer the above questions.

The forum ‘Accepted Talks Proposals for Bangalore’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Lost Password

Register