Killing thy Product Owner – Discuss Agile

Killing thy Product Owner

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Vishal Prasad 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Vishal Prasad
    Participant

Synopsis:
    This topic doesn’t demean the profession of a Product Owner and doesn’t mean that the Product Owner is not essential so killing them would solve the problem; rather it highlights the amount of dependencies a development team may end up building around the Product Owner that it may end up killing the credibility and value chain driven by product ownership.

A few dysfunctions by the team can be highlighted as follows:

• Killing creativity by expecting minute details from the PO
    • Killing innovation by restricting it to just a single person (the PO)
    • Killing productivity by creating a bottleneck that is the PO
    • Killing customer focus by not facing the customer
    • (and finally) Killing the product by not taking ownership

Keeping aside the fact the organizations now a days recruit Scrum Masters and Product Owners as designations instead of scrum roles, the product ownership has been misunderstood as a one person job that kills the entire purpose of being a Product Owner – voice of the customer to maximize ROI. PO doesn’t own the product alone and definitely doesn’t own the implementation details. Enough said, this scrum role needs a deeper understanding. Then again, who does it in XP or Kanban or SAFe or anything else?

In this workshop, I execute 5 iterations to highlight the team’s dysfunctions, and apply practices a team can perform so a Product Owner can function much better and improve the credibility of this role.

Type of session: 45 min interactive workshop

My biography:
    Vishal Prasad – Agile Coach, Business Analyst, Project Manager, Software Engineer, and an Intrapreneur; based in India.

I started off my IT career in 2008 and was introduced to hands-on agile software development in 2012. This is when I took up the role of a Business Analyst and acted as the Proxy Product Owner for my client. Since then agile has been an integral part of my career and I’ve grown to play multiple roles including that of an Agile Coach.

After a successful take-off of my agile career, it was time for me to give back to the community and with this notion in mind, I began volunteering for various events hosted by multiple agile groups, details of which can be found on my website.

Agile has become my passion through which I’ve grown from a practitioner to a coach and although I don’t know what’s stored for me in the future, I’m pretty sure it’s good.

My speaking engagements: Please click here

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register